When making moulds for food it is important to remember that conventional sealing agents from a hardware store should not be used. These materials should be avoided because they usually contain toxic ingredients that are not approved for direct food contact. Seal-Dit is made from a blend of food grade waxes and specifically designed to serve as a non-toxic sealer. Seal-Dit is also an excellent sealing agent for general moldmaking that is not meant for food applications.
Step by step instructions on the use and application of the Seal-Dit:
1. Porous objects made from wood, plaster, cloth, paper and even some seashells must be sealed before applying silicone mould making materials. If left unsealed, the silicone will find its way into the microscopic pores in the surface and become locked in the surface. As a result, the object will have to be literally ripped out of the mould ruining the mould and perhaps the object being moulded.
2. Seal-Dit is a food grade paste that is used to seal porous objects. Using a natural bristle artists brush, soften Seal-Dit by swirling the brush over the surface of the Seal-Dit in the jar. Apply Seal-Dit liberally to the porous object working it into the surface.
3. Wipe excess Seal-Dit off of the object. Removal of Seal-Dit will not diminish its effectiveness and instead restore the details of the object so that they can be captured by the silicone mould making material.
4. Apply silicone to the sealed object with confidence. Seal-Dit is very effective and can be used with any silicone mould making material for example the Silicone Plastique (Available in 200g and 400G).
5. The image on the left shows what can happen when Seal-Dit is not used. Both the mold and the object have been ruined due to the silicone curing while entrapped in the pores of the wood.
The image on the right shows a cured mold being removed from an object that was treated with Seal-Dit. Notice how smooth the mold is and how no silicone remains on the object.