Whether it’s a birthday, family event, or a relaxed baking Sunday, this lemon cake recipe is perfect for all. Packed full of zesty lemony goodness, and topped with a sweet lemon drizzle, this cake will have everybody coming back for seconds.
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
175g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
175g butter (softened)
100g granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180c
2. Beat the eggs, with the flour, caster sugar, butter and baking powder.
3. Finely grate one lemon, and add the zest.
4. Mix until smooth in a large mixing bowl, then pour into a lined baking tin.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
6. While the cake is still warm, squeeze the juice of one lemon and mix with the granulated sugar.
7. Pour over the cake whilst still warm.
8. Leave the cake to cool, then remove from the tin, slicing before serving.
1. Place your cake in the centre of the oven, to avoid the top of the cake cracking.
2. For a healthier choice, you could opt for coconut sugar instead of granulated.
3. Instead of syrup, why not try icing or icing sugar for a sweet topping?
4. For an extra fruity kick, add lemon slices or other sliced fruit to decorate.