This post was created in collaboration with Sarah from @bake.works.
A rose swirl is a classic cupcake frosting style. Simple, delicate and just as beautiful alone as it is covered in sprinkles, it is an instant hit! If you are beginning your journey into cupcake decorating, learning to pipe the perfect rose swirl is a must. And it’s not as tricky as you might think!
Once again we’re joined by the super talented Sarah from @bake.works, who is here to show us how to master the art, using the fantastic piping tools available from Wilton!
Piping the Perfect Rose Swirl
What you’ll need:
- A pre-made cupcake – see Sarah’s recipe for the perfect vanilla cupcake here!
- Food colouring of your choice (here Sarah uses Rose from Colour Mill)
- Wilton’s 1m star tip (available individually or as part of the Golden Decorating Tip Set) or similar 1M tip
Want to see how it’s done? We have a fantastic video on our YouTube channel where Sarah showcases her technique. Once you’re ready to pipe your own perfect rose swirl, follow the video and our step by step guide below!
- Add a few drops of your colouring to your buttercream and mix thoroughly.
- Put the piping tip in your piping bag and fill with buttercream
- Hold your piping bag at a 90 degree angle over your cupcake and pipe a swirl. Start in the middle and slowly work your way around.
It sounds too good to be true, but it really is as simple as that! You can achieve the perfect rose swirl on your cupcakes in just three steps.
Practice makes perfect, right? It’s a great excuse to whip up a few extra cupcakes! Test out different colours, add a subtle lustre dust or eye-catching sprinkle – have fun with it!
As far as cupcakes go, the rose swirl is a beloved design you will use again and again. Whether it’s cupcakes for a family birthday, an engagement party or just because you feel like them – learning this technique has you set!
Thanks to Sarah for taking the time to teach us this handy cake decorating trick! You can explore more of her amazing cakey work over on Instagram.
Pleased with your results? You deserve to be! Tag us using the hashtag #CakeDecFamous to share your perfect rose swirl cupcakes with our community – we’re looking forward to seeing them!
Credit: all images and video by @bake.works.
Looking for more inspo?