Looking to expand your baking horizons, but keep things simple? We’ve got you. If you’ve mastered the basic vanilla cupcake, an easy next step is to add some extra flavour. This seriously easy salted caramel cupcakes recipe is perfect for any special occasion!
The perfect combination of sweet and salty, this modern classic is easy to master and even easier to eat. Drizzled with caramel sauce, it elevates a simple cupcake to something more indulgent.
Ingredients for your Salted Caramel Cupcakes:
- For the sponge:
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 3 medium eggs, room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp full-fat milk, room temperature
- 6 tsp of caramel sauce
- For the icing:
- 145g icing sugar
- 75g butter
- 180g caramel sauce
- a pinch of sea salt flakes
- fudge pieces and chocolate sprinkles (optional)
How to make your cupcakes:
For the sponge, we’re following the recipe the amazing Sarah from @bake.works gave us. You can view the original post here!
Follow Sarah’s steps 1-3 in this post to make your sponge mixture. Then follow these next steps:
- Fill each cupcake case about a third of the way, then add half a tsp of caramel sauce on top. If you want to go for salted caramel, add a pinch of salt at this point, or leave as is if you’d prefer plain caramel! Cover over with more sponge mix, so that each case is approx half-full.
- Bake for 20-25mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer the tray onto a cooling rack. After 5 minutes of cooling in the tin, take the cupcakes out and directly onto the cooling rack.
- While your cupcakes are baking, it’s the perfect time to make your icing! If you’re a total beginner and prefer to buy ready made buttercream, go for it! Whatever makes the process most enjoyable. Just make sure you choose a caramel or salted caramel frosting. But if you’re ready to make your own, start by beating your butter in a mixer.
- Gradually add your icing sugar – do this slowly, not all at once! – and beat together with your butter.
- Add 100g of your caramel sauce to the mixture and continue beating until it has whipped together. This will usually take around 5mins.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled, add your buttercream mix to a piping bag, with a piping tip of your choice. Pipe evenly onto each cupcake.
- Take your remaining caramel sauce over the buttercream and add a sprinkle of sea salt for that iconic flavour! Leave it there, or add some small fudge pieces or chocolate sprinkles for an extra bit of indulgence!
Serve and Enjoy!
And you’re done! Seriously easy salted caramel cupcakes the whole family can enjoy. We get the feeling this will be a recipe you’ll keep coming back to once you’ve tried it!
And if you’ve been here before, you know what we’re going to say – we want to see your creations! If we’ve inspired you, be sure to tag us on Instagram at @the_cake_decorating_co and using the hashtag #CakeDecFamous. We look forward to seeing your bakes!
Looking for more inspo?