Allow your cakes to take flight with style, using this versatile Tropical Birds mould from Karen Davies!
With this Tropical Birds design, you can produce the most creative summer and Hawaiian-themed cakes - they will almost be too good to eat.
This mould features designs for five different birds, including: Flamingo, Cockatoo, Toucan, Parrot, Humming Bird.
Flamingo - 13cm x 10.5cm
Cockatoo - 7cm x 5cm
Toucan - 5.5cm x 5cm
Parrot - 14.5cm x 4cm
Humming Bird - 4cm x 4cm
How to create the perfect tropical birds:
1. Dust your mould with cornflour and tap out any excess. If you are making a flamingo, roll a sausage of paste with one end thinner than the other for the main body in your required colour.
2. Start by pressing the larger end into the tail of the bird and work your wau up the body, to the neck and head. Remove any excess paste at his head by tearing with your thumb.
3. Roll thin sausages of paste for the legs. You may use a dresden tool to assist you in pressing the paste into the feet. Work the paste up the legs and finish by pressing it firmly on top of the body paste.
4. Turn your mould over and slowly peel the mould back, releasing the head and neck first so they don't stretch. The rest of the body should follow easily.
5. For a flamingo, dust the legs with a small amount of grey powder colour. Dust the neck, head and body with a pink powder colour to add depth and detail.
6. Mix white colour powder with isopropyl alcohol. Paint his beak and eye white. You could mould his beak in white if you prefer. Paint the bottom third of the beak black and paint a pupil in the eye.
7. Finish by painting a pink stripe across his beak where the white meets the black and add a white highlight to his pupil.
To Create Toucan, Humming Bird, Parrot & Cockatoo:
1. Prepare your mould as above. Mould the bird in whatever colour you desire.
2. Dust and paint your bird, using a reference as a guide.
1. If you would like your bird to stand on top of your cake, knead tylo powder into your paste before moulding to make it firmer. A skewer can be inserted whilst the bird is still soft. Allow your bird to dry fully before securing it to the top of your cake.
2. If you would like to attach your bird to the side of your cake, simply attach it using royal icing or edible glue to secure.
Wash and thoroughly dry the mould before use.
This mould pairs perfectly with our Tropical Leaves mould - the ultimate combination to ensure flawless tropical masterpieces!
SPRING BANK HOLIDAY 2019
Our Warehouse Heroes will be working over the Bank Holiday so your orders will still be picked and packed but we will not have a mail collection until Tuesday 28th May.
Order AFTER 4pm on Friday 24th and BEFORE 4pm Tuesday 28th May and expect your order on the below dates:
• Next Day - delivered Wed 29th May
• 2 Day - delivered Thu 30th May
• 3 Day - delivered Fri 31st May
• Saturday Delivery - delivered 1st June
• Sunday Delivery - delivered 2nd June
NB: If you require delivery on Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th May, you will need to place your order before 4pm on Friday 24th May and choose Saturday or Sunday delivery.
The above dates are a guide and not guaranteed. Couriers may experience a backlog after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Dispatch Time & Price
Orders which are placed before 4pm (3:30pm for edible images) will be dispatched on the same working day (Monday - Friday). Please note that this does not include Bank Holidays.
3 Days (Mon-Sat)
£2.99 (Free - spend over £40)
2 Days (Mon-Sat)
£3.99 (£1.99 - spend over £40)
Hermes - Next Day Delivery (Mon-Sat)
£4.99 (£3.99 - spend over £40)
DPD - Next Day Delivery (Mon-Fri)
£6.99 (£5.99 - Spend Over £40)
Pre 10:30am (Mon - Fri)
Pre 12:00pm (Mon - Fri)
Saturday or Sunday Delivery*
£6.99 (£5.99 - spend over £40)
International Delivery Pricing
*Weekend deliveries are only possible for orders placed Mon-Fri before 4pm.
Please note, there may be additional postage charges if your order consists of unusually large or heavy items. If this is the case, you will be contacted prior to dispatch.
Next Working Day Delivery (UK)
Any order placed before 4pm (3:30pm for edible images) Monday - Friday, with the Next Working Day Delivery option selected, will be dispatched for delivery the following business day (Monday - Friday), between the hours of 8am - 9pm. A signature is required for this method, so you will need to be at the delivery address to sign for it. Please allow an additional 24 hours for any order to be delivered to the Scottish Highlands.
If delivery cannot be made, DPD will try again on the next working day. If this is unsuccessful, it will be held at the depot for an additional 5 working days. After this, the parcel will be returned to us, at a surcharge of £5.
Please Note: None of our services are a guaranteed service. DPD have a 98% success rate on next day deliveries.
Any order containing a product that is listed as a preorder, will be held until the preordered item has arrived in stock. Orders containing a preorder cannot be split, if other items are needed before the expected delivery date, these items should be ordered separately.
Weekend Deliveries (UK)
Any order placed before 4pm* on Friday, with the "Saturday Delivery" or "Sunday Delivery" option selected, will be dispatched on the same day for delivery between the hours of 8am - 6pm on the selected day. A signature is required for this method, so somebody will need to be at the delivery address to sign for it. If the order is placed after the 4pm cut-off on a Friday, the order will be dispatched for delivery on the following weekend.
Please note we are unable to guarantee any order being dispatched to the Scottish Highlands to arrive within the quoted time frame.
*Orders for edible images have a cut-off time of 3:30pm – orders placed after this time will be dispatched for delivery the following weekend.