Picture the scene; it’s a bright summer day and you’re getting ready for a weekend picnic or garden party. A sunny day deserves a sunny cake – and we’ve got just the thing! Here, Sarah at @bake.works talks us through her zesty lemon drizzle cake recipe, for the perfect zingy treat.
While the summer vibes are strong, lemon is one of the most popular cake flavours for any time of year. So, this is a great recipe to keep in your cupboard for any special occasion.
Pssst… you can watch Sarah make this cake herself over on Youtube – just click here!
Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe – what you need:
For the Sponge, you’ll need…
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 lemon, zested
And for the buttercream, you’ll need…
- 250g butter, room temperature
- 450g icing sugar
- 1 x Sachet of Ingenious Edibles Lemon Drizzle Concentrated Flavoured Icing Sugar
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- few drops food colouring (optional)
The day before you make your buttercream, combine 1kg of icing sugar with one sachet of Lemon Drizzle Ultra Concentrated Flavoured Icing Sugar. Transfer the sugar into a large ziplock bag to let the flavour develop!
- Heat the oven to 170C fan.
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in the self-raising flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- To make your buttercream, beat 500g of room temperature butter in a large bowl until pale (approx. 5 min). Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Once everything is combined, mix on the lowest mixer setting for about 5 min to remove air bubbles.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe the buttercream over your cake.
Thanks so much to Sarah for sharing this fruity lemon drizzle cake recipe with us. Now it’s over to you!
And don’t forget to add hashtag #CakeDecFamous, and tag us at @the_cake_decorating_co on Instagram if you try this out. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – nothing makes us happier than seeing you get creative with your cakey projects!
Looking for more inspo?!