Wherever you start, at some point on your baking journey a recipe is going to call for buttercream! Sarah at @bake.works is an expert, and is here to share a classic American Buttercream recipe which we’re sure will soon be in regular use in your kitchen!
And, what’s more, using Ingenious Edibles’ handy sachets of concentrated flavoured icing sugar, you have four delicious options to choose from. So whatever kind of cake or treat you’re making, you can pick the perfect flavour…
Pssst… you can watch Sarah make this buttercream herself over on Youtube – just click here!
American Buttercream Recipe – what you need:
- 250g butter, room temperature
- 450g icing sugar
- 1 x Sachet of Ingenious Edibles Ultra Concentrated Flavoured Icing Sugar
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- few drops food colouring (optional)
- The day before you make your buttercream, combine 1kg of icing sugar with one sachet of our Ultra Concentrated Flavoured Icing Sugar (choose your flavour!). Transfer the sugar into a large ziplock bag to let the flavour develop!
- Beat 500g of room temperature butter in a large bowl until pale (approx. 5 min). Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Once everything is combined, mix on the lowest mixer setting for about 5 min to remove air bubbles.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag to pipe on cupcakes or fill your cake.
Thanks so much to Sarah for sharing this American Buttercream recipe with us. Now it’s over to you!
Credit for all images, recipe and instructions goes to Sarah at @bake.works.